Not in Texas Anymore

My first week studying in London is officially over. It's honestly crazy to say that. Only seven days ago, we were trying to navigate through Paddington Station with our huge suitcases. Only seven days ago, my roommates and I were totally lost on Baker Street and wondering where the heck the street signs were.  Only seven (well eight) days ago this photo was taken just before the longest nine hour flight ever!

The entire first day can be described in one word: Overwhelming. 
Seriously, I don't think my brain has ever been stimulated so much. We were immediately thrown into the big bad city on our own. Thinking back to how lost we were last weekend is actually hilarious! What wasn't hilarious is jet lag. And it's a real thing y'all. I don't think I ever wanted to sleep so bad that day. Having orientation at 5 pm probably saved me from completely zonking out the minute I got to my room. That night has officially been ranked as the best sleep I've ever ever had.
The next day, our group was treated to a double decker bus tour and boat tour on the Thames. It was nice to be complete tourist with no shame because we were screaming "SELFIE WITH (insert historic landmark here)" every two minutes like proper gen y kids.

I find it awesome that we start off going on a ground tour and end off visiting the high views of London. I can't wait to see how much better I know this city after four more weeks. This week has already flown by and I know the rest of our stay is going to be the same. It's funny how fast we're picking up on the dialect and mannerisms. I'm starting to say "yeah" after every sentence by complete accident for some reason? A few days ago I said something but my tone went up at the end instead of down.
Quintessentially British syntax I've noticed. So at least I'm "code switching" easily. On Tuesday, we were assigned to "get lost." Each of us were assigned areas in London to walk around by ourselves. Everybody had to get on the Tube and come back on the Tube. Let me tell you, the underground here is crazy confusing if you've never used a subway. (Me.) But after literally walking around lost and finding myself back to Baker St, I was totally over being scared. I felt like I could go around by myself and be okay. That was such an awesome feeling. By the Wednesday, I no longer felt like a tourist. That same day, I casually leaned against the wall outside of the Tube waiting for my friend while reading the newspaper. Casual, yeah. That's another thing! People read the newspaper here? It was so weird to see an actual paper boy again but the British know how to keep up with their news! I will say I feel completely disconnected from U.S current events. The British don't care about us y'all. Also, British buzzfeed isn't as funny when you don't get all the references. I digress.



Highlight of the week was going to BBC. Guys. GUYS. It was everything I every wanted in my whole life. The newsroom was out of this world and I got the weather lady to wave at me and I got to anchor the "interactive" part of the tour and it felt so so right! (huge run on sentence who cares) Even though the tour was understandably formal, it was a huge inspiration to see "the dream" in action. Everybody was working on stories and from the looks of it, they used the same programs as we do at NTDaily TV. It was just what I needed before my senior year to get me excited for graduating again. I was starting to dread the thought of leaving school but now I'm sort of ready for this. BBC, ABC, Travel, inter nation news....it's all I've ever wanted. Mark my words BBC, I'll be back.


The rest of my week consisted of my first taste of pub life (which is so different from the states) and even London club life! #pubsbeforeclubs forever and all that. I visited Kensington Palace and Windsor Castle which were amazing of coarse. The ceilings in those places are a work of art in themselves. Another highlight was Oxford Street, Portobello Markets, and Camden Markets. Shopping galore:


But the best part of this week is the amount of memories we've all already made. Seriously, I just met these people last week but we've gotten off to the best start. I can't wait to see what the next four weeks is going to bring us. I already see how much this trip is going to mean to all of us in the long run.

The world doesn't end in Texas and it sure doesn't end in the United States. There's a whole chunk of life we've yet to experience and I'm ready for it all.




Song of the week: 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Mayborn in London

Twitter Updates

Meet Thalia

I'm a 21 year old student from UNT studying Broadcast Journalism and Political Science. Here's my five-weeks studying abroad in London.